Not that long ago, there were few people actually using virtual physical therapy. This is borne out by an Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center study that reports only about 5% of their patients were using virtual health care services in the first quarter of 2020.
A rapid increase in the importance of virtual physical therapy and other virtual health care services has happened since then. In part, this rise is related to the rise of COVID-19 levels. However, there are many other reasons why virtual physical therapy has become so important to many people.
Why is virtual physical therapy important for you?
- It may be your closest option — Not every patient is fortunate enough to live close to a physical therapy clinic. Rural patients especially may have to travel for hours just to visit their physical therapist. However, virtual physical therapy allows almost anyone to connect with a physical therapist right in their own home.
- It’s effective at reducing pain — Another reason why virtual physical therapy is important is that it can help many people reduce their pain. Medical studies show that this type of care can be very effective for musculoskeletal pain. One study of 10,264 knee and back pain patients found that nearly 69% of them had reduced pain after 12 weeks of virtual care.
- It’s affordable — Affordability is another reason the popularity of virtual physical therapy has grown recently. Many people are still dealing with the financial upheavals caused by COVID-19. Such people might not feel like they can afford to do physical therapy for an injury. However, they may change their mind when they learn that patients of one virtual physical therapy provider experience a 47% cost savings.
- It can help address a broad range of issues — Virtual physical therapy can also address a broader range of issues than many people might believe. Many providers offer virtual services that can help people address:
- Common sources of musculoskeletal pain, such as back or neck pain.
- Women’s health issues.
- Issues related to COVID recovery.
- Esports injuries.
- Cancer-related problems.
Find out why virtual physical therapy can be important for you at Agile Virtual PT
Our Agile Virtual PT team believes in the importance of virtual physical therapy, and we’re keen to help other people believe it, too. That’s one reason why we offer free virtual screenings, so you can learn if we can help you with a minimal amount of risk. For the same reason, we’ve taken steps to make our virtual PT services available to people across 41 states.
Contact our team today for more information about our services or conditions we can treat or to schedule your initial appointment.