Pediatric physical therapy is a type of physical therapy that is designed to accommodate the physical development and treatment of children. It can be helpful for kids who may be experiencing obstacles to their developmental growth or physical comfort. Pediatric physical therapists work with the goal of improving a child’s strength, increasing range of motion, and minimizing pain as much as possible. Physical therapists know that childhood is a crucial period for physical growth and development; it’s why they work to build a solid, buildable foundation for each of their patients.
Pediatric therapy can be performed in a physical therapy clinic, but can also be carried out at home, too. To learn more about virtual at-home pediatric therapy and some of its benefits, keep reading the information provided below.
What conditions might necessitate pediatric physical therapy?
- Muscle conditions or disorders.
- Down syndrome.
- Traumatic injury.
- Neurological disorders.
- Physical developmental delays.
These are just a few of several conditions that telehealth physical therapy can treat for kids.
Can physical therapy clinics offer virtual at-home pediatric physical therapy?
Physical therapy clinics not only can offer treatment in person, but since the COVID-19 pandemic, many physical therapy clinics offer at-home virtual treatment too. Virtual PT offers a wide range of benefits even to young children. Physical therapy clinics that offer general at-home therapy are likely to offer pediatric physical therapy services online, too. Virtual pediatric PT can be just as efficient as in-person pediatric PT. A physical therapist will guide your child through gentle exercises from a unique treatment plan each session. The therapist will instruct your child over a webcam to perform the same types of basic exercises as they would in person at a PT clinic.
What are some of the benefits of virtual at-home pediatric physical therapy?
- Minimizing pain levels — One of the primary benefits of physical therapy is that it can help reduce levels of pain and discomfort. Physical therapists know how to work within your child’s threshold. They’ll help your child work toward less pain during movements and daily activities.
- Building strength and stamina — Another benefit of pediatric physical therapy is that it can help your child build strength and stamina. Physical therapists specialize in building muscle strength in the whole body for support and muscular endurance. If desired, the therapist can also target specific areas of weakness and build muscle strength to protect from injury and provide increased mobility.
- Improving mobility — Pediatric physical therapy can improve mobility in children. Treatment from a pediatric PT can help build up physical mobility. This can help your child move more comfortably at school, at home and during play.
- Less disruptive for your child — Some people prefer virtual at-home pediatric physical therapy. It’s less disruptive to your child’s routine than in-person sessions may be. Your child will receive treatment from their own home, which may be more comfortable for both you and your child.
- Potentially more convenient — Virtual at-home pediatric physical therapy can be more convenient for families with hectic schedules and limited transportation. It cuts down on transportation time and office waits, and only requires a time commitment that extends the length of the session.
Why choose Agile Virtual Physical Therapy for your child’s virtual at-home pediatric physical therapy?
We understand that going to regular in-person physical therapy sessions can be a serious time commitment. When you consider the time it takes to drive to and from your sessions, the length of the sessions themselves, and other related factors, in-person PT can be tedious. Fortunately, getting the care your child needs doesn’t have to be.
Going to regular in-person physical therapy sessions may not be the most convenient for you and your child, or you may have limited access to transportation. If this is the case for you, virtual at-home pediatric physical therapy is an efficient and effective treatment option for those whose children would benefit from PT treatment. Virtual PT can be done from the convenience of your own home. It requires nothing other than a stable internet connection and a device with a video camera. You’ll be able to meet with a qualified physical therapy professional who can lead you through each session. You can get the right treatment for your child with physical therapists who respect each patient’s time and unique situation.
Agile Virtual Physical Therapy offers more than 400 licensed clinicians. We’re committed to providing effective PT care through our telehealth platform. At Agile Virtual PT, we provide services in 45 U.S. states and free virtual screenings.
At Agile Virtual Physical Therapy, we have experienced professionals who are qualified to create a personalized plan with you containing at-home physical therapy exercises customized for your child’s needs.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment to get started with virtual pediatric physical therapy.