It’s estimated that about 22% of people in the U.S. who deal with chronic pain also take prescription drugs to help manage their pain. This number has grown over a period of several years, indicating a rising dependence on drugs. If you’re someone who deals with a condition that causes chronic pain and you’re interested in managing your chronic pain with no drugs, keep reading the information provided in the sections below.
What are some pain management options that don’t involve the use of drugs?
- Virtual physical therapy — Virtual physical therapy is a great option for managing pain that can be done with no drugs. It requires only an electronic device with video and a stable internet connection. Virtual PT works the same way in-person PT does — only it’s done from home. A physical therapist will ask you questions about your symptoms and then develop a specialized treatment plan designed just for you. They’ll guide you through each of your exercises on camera and watch you to ensure that you’re performing them correctly. You can speak with your virtual physical therapist during your initial assessment about pain management with no drugs, and they will work with you toward meeting your goal.
- Cold therapy — Using ice packs for cold therapy can be a helpful pain management method for those who want to avoid taking medication for their pain. Cold therapy can reduce inflammation when regularly applied. It can also help numb pain, but mostly for short periods of time.
- Heat therapy — Heat therapy, similar to cold therapy, can be performed by applying heat to an area of pain. This can be via heating packs, heated pads or a hot bath to name a few examples. If your pain is caused by tense muscles and stiff joints, the heat may be a helpful pain management method for you that doesn’t involve the use of any drugs.
- Regular physical activity — Regular physical activity can be good for many reasons, including pain management. It can help boost blood circulation and repair damaged tissue while keeping joints from becoming too stiff. Regular physical activity is also good for reducing muscle tension and soreness. Some types of chronic pain can worsen with inactivity, so making sure to get enough movement in each day is essential for pain management if you’re not interested in taking pain-reducing drugs.
- Mindfulness — Another method for dealing with your pain with no drugs is through mindfulness. You may be able to effectively manage your pain by learning to recognize any patterns that may lead to it, like potential triggers and how long the pain lasts. Mindfulness helps you to learn to avoid certain triggers and learn ways to feel more in control of your pain.
- Electrical stimulation — Certain types of electrical stimulation therapy can be a helpful pain management method that involves no drugs. Electrical stimulation can be used to reduce muscle tension and decrease pain caused by compressed or damaged nerves.
- Soft tissue manipulation — Soft tissue manipulation is a technique that is used to treat a variety of conditions, including pain. It can be performed by a physical therapist in a clinic to help reduce muscle tension and pain. If you’re interested in pain management methods with no drugs, you may want to ask your physical therapist about soft tissue manipulation.
Why is virtual physical therapy a good pain management option that involves no drugs?
- Builds muscle strength.
- Improves range of motion.
- Increases mobility.
- Relieves pain.
- Teaches pain management tools.
- Can prevent future injury and pain.
Why choose Agile Virtual Physical Therapy for pain management with no drugs?
We understand that going to regular in-person physical therapy sessions can be a serious time commitment especially when you’re already dealing with limited mobility from chronic pain. When you consider the time it takes to drive to and from your sessions, the length of the sessions themselves, and other related factors, in-person PT can quickly become tedious. That’s why you should consider getting virtual physical therapy services to manage your pain.
You may not feel up to going to in-person physical therapy because of your chronic condition. Virtual physical therapy is an efficient, natural and effective pain management option for those who regularly deal with chronic pain but don’t want to rely on drugs for relief. Virtual PT can be done from the convenience of your own home. It requires nothing other than a stable internet connection and a device with a video camera. You’ll be able to meet with a qualified physical therapy professional who can lead you through each session. You can get help from our virtual PT team for treating your pain naturally, without medication.
Agile Virtual Physical Therapy offers more than 400 licensed clinicians. We’re committed to providing effective PT care through our telehealth platform. At Agile Virtual PT, we provide services in 45 U.S. states and free virtual screenings.
At Agile Virtual Physical Therapy, we have experienced professionals who are qualified to create a personalized plan with you containing at-home physical therapy exercises customized for your age and fitness level.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment to get started treating your pain naturally and compassionately.