Research estimates that about 1 out of every 4 adults in the U.S. experiences chronic knee pain. If you’re one of the many who experience knee pain, it’s important that you know where you can find effective treatment. Treatments like virtual physical therapy can make activities like walking, running and sitting down feel significantly less painful. Most physical therapy providers will help patients with knee pain by guiding them through various movements, like stretches, to build strength, reduce tension and increase their range of motion. Here’s what else you need to know about stretching to relieve knee pain.
What are some of the top causes of knee pain?
A variety of conditions can cause knee pain. These are just some of the most common. If your knee pain is rooted in any of the following conditions, it’s likely that virtual physical therapy can help you:
What are some top stretches and exercises you can do for knee pain?
There are many kinds of stretches and exercises that you can do to ease some of the pain you’re feeling in your knee. Each of these movements can be done from the comfort of your own home, either by yourself or with the guidance of a physical therapist:
- Hamstring stretches — Hamstring stretches can be performed by lying on your back and lifting one leg straight up into the air while keeping the other on the floor. It’s important to ensure that your knee stays locked and straight while you’re extending your leg in the air. You should feel the stretch in your hamstrings, the group of muscles in the back of your thigh. Keep your foot flexed and parallel with the floor for a deeper stretch. Stretching and strengthening your hamstrings can help improve your knee pain and protect it from future injury.
- Quadriceps stretches — Quadriceps stretches can be performed by standing on one leg while holding the ankle of your other leg behind your back. You may want to hold on to something for balance. For a better stretch, pull your ankle closer to your back. You should feel the stretch in the quadriceps, the muscles in the front of your thigh. This stretch can improve flexibility in your quadriceps and decrease some knee pain over time.
How can virtual PT ensure that you get the most out of your knee stretches?
- Live audio and visual feedback from a physical therapist — During virtual PT sessions, you’ll get real-time responses to how you’re stretching your knees. Your physical therapist will correct your form and provide helpful suggestions to improve your stretches so that you can get knee pain relief.
- Easy access to digital resources like instructional videos and pamphlets — Another benefit of virtual PT is that your physical therapist can provide you with the digital resources you need to enhance your knee stretches. Unlike traditional PT sessions, you can receive and view those resources immediately to improve your PT experience.
- Visual access to your home environment — Virtual physical therapy can also provide your therapist with visual access to your home environment, meaning that they can see what adjustments you need to make around your home to protect your knees from further pain. They can also show you how you can use certain items around your home to perform stretching exercises for your knee pain.
Why should you choose Agile Virtual Physical Therapy to treat your knee pain?
Our Agile Virtual Physical Therapy team knows that getting to and from regular in-person physical therapy sessions can be time consuming. We also know that it’s not an easy commitment to make for those who don’t have reliable transportation. Considering the time it takes to drive to sessions and back, the length of the sessions, and other factors, getting in-person physical therapy care isn’t always ideal. Lucky for you, there’s an alternative. Virtual physical therapy is just as effective as in-person therapy and may be just what you need to get some relief for your knee pain.
Virtual PT can be done from the convenience of your own home. It requires nothing other than a stable internet connection and a device with a video camera. You’ll be able to meet with a qualified physical therapist who can lead you through each session at home. You can get the right treatment for your knee without sacrificing any time outside of your session. The at-home care you need for your knee pain is just a click away.
Agile Virtual Physical Therapy offers more than 400 licensed clinicians. We provide services in 45 U.S. states and free virtual screenings.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment today.