Have you recently woken up with a sore and stiff neck? Maybe you’ve had it for a few days already? It’s fairly common to experience neck stiffness. If this is you, and you’re looking to determine how long it will last and how virtual PT can help neck pain and discomfort, keep reading the sections below.
What are some of the potential causes of a stiff neck that lasts longer than a day?
If you’re dealing with a stiff neck, but you’re not sure how long it will last, you may want to read up on some of the potential causes of a stiff neck. Take a look at some possible explanations listed below.
- Neck sprain — Neck sprains are a type of neck condition that can be caused by overuse, repetitive motion, and muscle fatigue. These types of sprains are considered injuries to the ligaments in your neck.
- Muscle tension — Muscle tension is another cause of a stiff neck that can last for some time. If your neck muscles are being placed under strain or you’re tensing your neck frequently, your stiffness may be because of muscle tension.
- Sleeping in an abnormal position — Sleeping in an abnormal position throughout the night can cause stiffness in your neck that lasts a long time. If you’ve slept on your neck in an uncomfortable position for too long, this might be why you’re experiencing unpleasant symptoms.
- Whiplash — Whiplash can cause neck stiffness that can last for days and even weeks. Whiplash is a condition most often caused by trauma like car accidents or sports injuries.
- Cervical spondylosis — Cervical spondylosis also has the potential to cause neck stiffness that can last some time. It’s a degenerative condition that is usually brought on by old age.
How long does it typically take to go away on its own?
The amount of time it takes for a stiff neck to go away on its own can typically depend on the cause of the stiffness.
If you’re experiencing muscle tension or slept on your neck in a strange way, it’s likely to go away within a day or two. If the source of your neck stiffness is cervical spondylosis, you may be dealing with chronic neck pain and stiffness that may go away only to return later.
How long it takes for your neck stiffness to go away can also depend on a few other factors. One of these is that you may be prolonging your healing. If you’re not giving your neck enough time to rest or taking a break from any strenuous activities that could be causing your discomfort, this could prolong your stiffness. Another reason you may be prolonging your neck condition is by not seeking treatment. You can cut down the time it takes to heal or cut down on factors that may prolong healing by seeking treatment from experienced professionals, like virtual PT specialists.
Why choose Agile Virtual Physical Therapy to reduce how long your stiff neck will last?
We understand that going to regular in-person physical therapy sessions can be a serious time commitment. When you consider the time it takes to drive to and from your sessions, the length of the sessions themselves, and other related factors, in-person PT can be tedious. Fortunately, getting the care you need doesn’t have to be.
You may not feel up to going to in-person physical therapy if you’re dealing with neck stiffness and you’re not sure how long it will last, or you may not have a reliable source of transportation. Virtual physical therapy is a time-efficient and effective treatment option for those who struggle to manage their neck stiffness. We know that when you’re dealing with this type of discomfort, it can be hard to make regular appointments in a clinic. Virtual PT can be done from the convenience of your own home. It requires nothing other than a stable internet connection and a device with a video camera. You’ll be able to meet with a qualified physical therapy professional who can lead you through each session at home. You can get the right treatment for your neck without needing to sacrifice any time outside of your session. The at-home care you need for your conditions is just a click away.
Agile Virtual Physical Therapy offers more than 400 licensed clinicians. We’re committed to providing effective PT care through our telehealth platform. At Agile Virtual PT, we provide services in 45 U.S. states and free virtual screenings.
At Agile Virtual Physical Therapy, we have experienced professionals who are qualified to create a personalized plan with you containing at-home physical therapy exercises customized for your age and fitness level.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment to get started cutting down on how long your neck stiffness may last.