People fall down a lot for a variety of different reasons. The odds are pretty good that at least one person fell down since you started reading this. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), each year there are over 37 million falls that cause people to seek medical attention.
If you fall down onto your knee or hit your knee as you fall, your knee may be injured. Knee injuries from falling can range from minor scrapes and bruises to more serious issues. Virtual physical therapists can help you treat a range of different knee injuries from falling.
Knee injuries from falling that virtual physical therapists can treat
Minor knee injuries from falling down probably won’t send you looking for medical assistance. Yet a moderate to severe injury should do so. A few of the injuries that a virtual physical therapist can help you treat after a fall include:
- Meniscus tears.
- Knee ligament sprains or tears.
- Knee tendon strains or tears.
3 ways a virtual physical therapist can help you with knee injuries from falling
There are many steps that virtual physical therapists can take to help your knee injury. Three of the most basic steps they can take are:
- Diagnosing your injury — You may know only that your knee hurts when you first meet with a virtual physical therapist. Unfortunately, that’s not enough to effectively treat your pain. Your physical therapist will evaluate your knee movement and symptoms. This can help them pinpoint the exact knee injury you have.
- Reducing your pain — Your clinician can also work to reduce your knee pain. They can do so by prescribing specific exercises designed to stretch and strengthen your knee. Your clinician can also show you how to do certain daily tasks in ways that can minimize your pain.
- Helping you avoid future falls — A virtual physical therapist can also address the root cause of your injury: the fall. These professionals can help you determine why you fell in the first place. Often, people have a musculoskeletal or vestibular issue that’s affecting their balance. Physical therapists can identify the specific balance issue you have during a virtual session. They can then help you work on improving your balance in future sessions.
Find help for knee injuries from falling at Agile Virtual PT
Has a recent fall caused an injury to your knee? You can find effective help for your injury from our more than 400 Agile Virtual PT clinicians. You don’t even have to put any money on the line to find out if we can help you because our clinicians offer free virtual screenings. In addition, they excel at building personalized treatment plans specifically for your injury.
Contact our team today for more information about how we can help treat your knee injury or to schedule your initial virtual appointment.