There is a fairly common view of what virtual health care services are. Most people think these services involve working with a medical professional via a secure video connection. That is one of the services that virtual health care providers offer. However, there are many other types of services that fall into this category.
What are virtual health care services?
Virtual health care services aren’t limited to just video appointments. They also include many other services. The common thread that links these services is their use of technology. For instance, virtual services can include:
- Telephone consultations.
- Exchanges with a medical professional via email.
- Interacting with medical professionals through a secure digital messaging platform.
- Monitoring patients through mobile apps.
- Providing patients with online videos.
Why is virtual physical therapy considered a virtual health care service?
Virtual physical therapy falls into the virtual health care category, and its use is rapidly growing. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that virtual medical visits increased by 50% in the first quarter of 2020.
Some of the reasons virtual physical therapy falls into the virtual health care category are:
- It makes use of technology — Virtual physical therapy sessions can take many forms. However, the most common form they take is you interacting with a physical therapist via a secure online video feed. Such appointments require a stable internet connection. Additionally, patients typically need an operable camera and speakers and a laptop, desktop PC or mobile device to take part in virtual physical therapy sessions.
- It helps address injuries and conditions that cause pain — One of the primary goals of health care services is to address pain and its causes. Virtual health care also seeks to help patients meet this goal. The fact that virtual physical therapy can help patients reduce their pain is a major reason it’s considered a branch of virtual health care.
Find the virtual physical therapy services you need at Agile Virtual PT
Looking specifically for virtual physical therapy services? You’ll find a team that’s ready to help you get the virtual care you’re looking for at Agile Virtual PT. We have more than 400 certified clinicians that are licensed to operate in 41 U.S. states. In addition, meeting with our clinicians virtually can offer benefits such as:
- Lower costs per episode of care.
- Decreased pain.
- Faster scheduling than in-person physical therapy.
- Free virtual screenings.
Contact our team today for more information about all the services we offer or to schedule an initial virtual appointment.