It’s estimated that around 16 million adults in the U.S. will experience lower back pain at some point during their lifetime. If you’re someone who does experience this type of chronic pain, you may benefit from physical therapy at home.
Learn more in the information listed below, where we detail the benefits of physical therapy at home for your lower back pain.
How can at-home physical therapy help with lower back pain?
- Minimizing pain — Virtual physical therapy sessions at home can help improve your lower back pain. Your physical therapist doesn’t need you to come into the clinic in person to help you identify your symptoms and work on improving them.
- Improving range of motion — PT at home can be used to improve the range of motion in the lower back. If you find that you can’t move your back as much as you’d like, your therapist will have you perform a series of movements and exercises that are intended to improve your flexibility and range of motion.
- Building muscle strength — Physical therapists can help you build muscle strength in your lower back, your core and other related areas to support your back. Part of your lower back pain may be caused by muscle weakness, which can be addressed during at-home therapy. You can perform exercises at home to build muscle in your lower back and curb pain.
How does at-home physical therapy for lower back pain work?
- Initial assessment — You’ll likely be scheduled for an initial assessment at home. This is just one initial appointment to evaluate your physical condition and what kind of care might work best for you.
- Regular at-home sessions — After your initial assessment, your physical therapist will want to go ahead with regular at-home sessions to treat your lower back pain. Therapy is most effective when used continuously.
- Maintenance sessions — After you complete all of your regular sessions, it’s often a good idea to return at least once a year. Regular maintenance sessions can help check on the state of your lower back pain and can help prevent it from flaring up or becoming unmanageable.
Why should you choose at-home physical therapy for lower back pain?
- Doesn’t require transportation — At-home physical therapy for back pain doesn’t necessitate transportation. If you don’t have a reliable form of transportation to get to in-person sessions, virtual PT is likely to be more convenient for you.
- Can help you make functional improvements to your home — At-home sessions with a virtual physical therapist can help you make improvements in your home. Your therapist can view the way you have oriented your home and suggest alternatives to make your home more comfortable and accommodating to you.
- May be more cost effective — Virtual physical therapy can cost the same as in-person therapy, and sometimes may even be less expensive. If cost is a factor for you, you may benefit from trying at-home PT for your lower back pain.
- Can be more comfortable — Getting virtual physical therapy services can be more comfortable. Some people prefer getting physical therapy services in person, while for others, virtual PT at home is more comfortable. Whatever the reason may be, if in-person PT is less than ideal for you, virtual therapy may be the answer to your lower back pain.
Why choose Agile Virtual Physical Therapy for your at-home lower back treatment?
We understand that going to regular in-person physical therapy sessions can be a serious time commitment. When you consider the time it takes to drive to and from your sessions, the length of the sessions themselves, and other related factors, in-person PT can be tedious. Fortunately, getting the care you need doesn’t have to be.
You may not feel up to going to in-person physical therapy if you’re dealing with regular lower back pain, or you may not have a reliable source of transportation. Virtual physical therapy is a time-efficient and effective treatment option for those who struggle to manage their lower back pain. We know that when you’re dealing with daily back pain, it can be hard to make regular appointments in a clinic. Virtual PT can be done from the convenience of your own home. It requires nothing other than a stable internet connection and a device with a video camera. You’ll be able to meet with a qualified physical therapy professional who can lead you through each session, at home. You can get the right treatment for your lower back without needing to sacrifice any time outside of your session. The at-home care you need for your lower back pain is just a click away.
Agile Virtual Physical Therapy offers more than 400 licensed clinicians. We’re committed to providing effective PT care through our telehealth platform. At Agile Virtual PT, we provide services in 45 U.S. states and free virtual screenings.
At Agile Virtual Physical Therapy, we have experienced professionals who are qualified to create a personalized plan with you containing at-home physical therapy exercises customized for your age and fitness level.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment to get started treating your lower back pain at home.