Telehealth is one of a few different means of providing health care to your patients. This type of care doesn’t require patients to make in-person visits. It typically involves a health care provider communicating with a patient virtually, via video chat or phone call. Telehealth rehabilitation platforms can be helpful for both physical therapy providers and patients. Read more below to learn how virtual physical therapy can benefit both parties.
With the onset of COVID-19, telehealth rehabilitation has become increasingly more prevalent. It has given providers and patients a way to continue care from the comfort of their own homes. According to research, during the COVID-19 pandemic, patient satisfaction was rated at about the same for virtual PT as in-person PT.
8 ways telehealth rehabilitation platforms can make offering rehab easier for PT providers and their patients
- Increases accessibility for patients — Incorporating a virtual physical therapy platform into your practice can make physical therapy treatment more accessible to more people and ultimately a more effective alternative to opioids.
- Reaches a larger clientele — Since virtual therapy makes treatment more accessible to a variety of patients, it ultimately becomes more accessible to a larger clientele. Physical therapy providers can extend their treatment outreach by promoting telehealth rehabilitation services. Virtual PT can usher in patients who may not have been able to seek in-person care.
- Saves time — Virtual PT platforms can help cut back on time for both patients and providers. Rehab exercises can be customized to a patient’s home setting quicker and more efficiently. Not only this, but patients can save time by not having to commute to the location of the practice.
- Doesn’t require a mode of transportation — Getting PT treatment from home means that patients don’t need to worry about a means of transportation to the place of the practice. For some people, transportation to the PT practice can be difficult to arrange. It may require more scheduling and make receiving care more difficult. With telehealth rehab, all patients need is the right tech and themselves!
- Potentially lowers costs for patients — Virtual physical therapy can cost less for patients than in-person therapy. This can depend on insurance. And the best part is that virtual physical therapy is just as effective as in-person therapy!
- Potentially offers a faster return to health — During the course of one study, participants were guided by a simulated PT clinician. Their progress was tracked electronically, and care plans were customized by physical therapists. These telehealth rehabilitation study results showed a quicker return-to-health rate compared to an in-person PT recovery program.
- Lowers risk of rehospitalization — In the same study as the one mentioned previously, the telehealth rehabilitation program’s participants saw fewer rehospitalizations after undergoing therapy. The results of this study suggest that virtual physical therapy may be more helpful for preventing hospitalizations. For many patients, telehealth rehab has proven to be particularly effective, especially for patients who remain actively engaged in their treatment. To learn about how patient engagement is a crucial part of virtual PT, read here.
- Highlights effectiveness of at-home exercises — When patients and providers regularly use virtual physical therapy platforms, both parties become more aware of its effectiveness. Those who might otherwise have not considered virtual PT as a practical option may reconsider. Telehealth rehab gives patients and providers the chance to experience firsthand how effective exercising at home can be. One study conducted in 2019 showed that around 66% of people in the U.S. expressed interest in telehealth services, though only about 8% of people in the U.S. had actually experienced a telehealth appointment.
If you’re a physical therapy provider who isn’t sure how virtual physical therapy platforms can make things easier for you and your patients, consider the many benefits listed above. Telehealth rehabilitation is versatile, making it a great option for your practice. For more surprising benefits of virtual physical therapy, click here.
Why choose Agile Virtual Physical Therapy?
Agile Virtual Physical Therapy can offer more than 400+ licensed clinicians. We’re committed to making providing effective PT care easier through our telehealth platform. At Agile Virtual PT, we provide services in 45 U.S. states, and we also offer free virtual screenings. For more information including our many partnerships, read here.
If you’re a PT provider who is committed to ensuring the well-being of your patients, look no further. The physical therapists at Agile Virtual Physical Therapy understand. We’d be happy to answer any questions you may have about how to get started.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.