Your core muscles are like the walls of a building that help hold you up. But what happens when you have a weak core? The answer is complex and typically involves a range of different symptoms. Virtual physical therapists can help you learn which symptoms indicate you have a weak core, and they can also help you find fixes for your weak core.
Having a weak core often leads to these 5 symptoms
Your core muscles include your diaphragm, abs, obliques, muscles along your spine and even your pelvic floor. There are certain symptoms that can indicate you have a weak core. The problem is that these symptoms can easily be mistaken for other issues. Five of the most common symptoms of an understrength core are:
- Trouble maintaining good posture — Walls that are weak have trouble holding a building upright. Weak core muscles have the same problem. That’s why slouching when you stand or sit may be a sign of a weak core.
- Pain in your back — The core muscles provide a lot of the spine’s support. When they’re weak, that support crumbles and can often cause back pain. This symptom also tends to go hand in hand with poor posture.
3. Trouble breathing — A weak core can limit the amount of space that your lungs have to expand. As a result, people with a weak core may experience some difficulty breathing.
- 4.Tilting or swaying while walking — Many people with weakened core muscles may notice that their upper body tilts or sways from side to side as they walk. This is especially likely if you have weak obliques.
5. Difficult standing up for long periods of time — Standing is one of the most common activities people do. Yet it can also become one of the most difficult if your core muscles are shaky. The reason is that your core will have more and more difficulty keeping you upright the longer you stand.
A virtual physical therapist can help you put together the clues that each of these symptoms offers. They can then help you find ways to address your symptoms and the weak core that’s causing them.
How can virtual physical therapy help address weak core symptoms?
Going to virtual physical therapy sessions can help people who have weak cores in many ways. Some ways these sessions can help include:
- Confirming that your symptoms stem from a weak core.
- Identifying which parts of your core are the weakest.
- Providing you with targeted exercises for various core muscles.
- Monitoring your progress.
- Adjusting your PT plan as your needs change.
Agile Virtual PT can help address your weak core symptoms
Do you have one or more of the weak core symptoms discussed above? That’s OK! Our clinicians at Agile Virtual PT can help you address your symptoms and build strength in your core. We can confirm that your core is weak during one of our free virtual screenings. From there, our certified clinicians can create a treatment plan for you that’s designed to reduce your symptoms and boost your core’s stability.
Contact our team today for more information about how we can help you work on your weak core or to schedule an initial appointment to start addressing it.