Physical therapy is a means of strengthening and rehabilitating the body after one experiences an injury or experiences weakness. It can be useful for both sudden and progressive conditions. It can also be helpful for people in all conditions, not just someone who has already been hurt and needs rehabilitation, as most people may believe. It can be used to prepare individuals for surgical procedures and to prevent injury from occurring by strengthening weak areas. In-office physical therapy can be extremely helpful for many types of conditions. But it may not be accessible or convenient for some people.
That’s where virtual physical therapy comes in. Virtual physical therapy can be an even better option for those who could benefit from regular in-person physical therapy services but may not be able to access them. To learn more about what barriers to in-person physical therapy may be prevalent and how virtual physical therapy can help people overcome them, keep reading.
Why might seeing a virtual physical therapist be the best option rather than seeing an in-person physical therapist near you?
- You live in a rural area — One major barrier to receiving physical therapy services in person is living in a rural location. If you live in the remote countryside, getting to and from physical therapy may be especially cumbersome. Those living in rural areas may not have easy access to a physical therapist’s office near them, making for long drives that can be time consuming and costly. There also may not be as many physical therapists’ offices available to those in rural areas. Another disadvantage is that in certain weather conditions, traveling may be more difficult. For example, people who are snowed in in rural areas may not be able to drive on the roads for a few days depending on how quickly snow plows can get to their area.
- You have limited means of transportation — Another reason seeing a virtual physical therapist may be more realistic for some than an in-person therapist near them is if they struggle with transportation. Some people may not have reliable transportation, let alone any mode of readily available transportation. This can make getting to regular physical therapy appointments hard to achieve.
- You have extremely limited physical mobility — Older adults, individuals with disabilities and those with injuries may have difficulty getting to physical therapy sessions in person. These physical conditions can limit mobility, which may make getting to and from the physical therapy office near them more complicated. It may be more efficient and convenient for these individuals to rely on virtual physical therapy as a great alternative.
Seeing a physical therapist can be advantageous for a number of reasons. Virtual physical therapy can be beneficial for all the same reasons that in-person therapy near you is — with a few more unique aspects. Here are some of the benefits of in-person therapy:
- Traumatic injury rehabilitation.
- Strength and mobility training.
- Surgical procedure preparation.
- Managing chronic conditions and related symptoms.
When you take these benefits and couple them with the benefits provided below, you’ll likely see an overwhelming number of reasons that visiting a virtual physical therapist near you can be a great choice. Receiving PT services virtually can help you overcome all different kinds of challenges.
What are the benefits of meeting with a virtual physical therapist near you?
- You can start the physical therapy process quicker — Meeting with a virtual physical therapist can help get you moving quicker by allowing your therapist to offer services more conveniently. No more waiting until both your physical therapist and you can physically meet in person. All that’s necessary is an agreed-up time to carry out the actual session. No driving time, no waiting time, and more streamlined care.
- It’s more accessible — Virtual physical therapy is a lot more accessible to a larger variety of patients in need of physical therapy care near them. It eliminates the need for transportation and physical mobility out of the home. It just requires an electronic device and a stable internet connection.
- You can learn how to independently manage your symptoms from home — Virtual physical therapy can teach patients to manage their symptoms from their own homes. It can allow physical therapists to assess home environments and lifestyles and determine the best ways to help patients become comfortable managing their symptoms.
Why choose Agile Virtual Physical Therapy?
Agile Virtual Physical Therapy can offer more than 400 licensed clinicians. We’re committed to providing effective PT care through our telehealth platform. At Agile Virtual PT, we provide services in 45 U.S. states and free virtual screenings. For more information including our many partnerships, read here.
At Agile Virtual Physical Therapy, we have experienced professionals who are qualified to create a personalized plan with you containing at-home physical therapy exercises customized for your age and fitness level.
Contact our team today for more information or to schedule an initial appointment.